Development Dialogue

Tata Technologies to help develop 149 ITIs in Bihar as Centres of Excellence

All 149 government-owned Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) in Bihar will be upgraded as Centres of Excellence in partnership with Tata Technologies, a subsidiary of Tata Motors.

In the first phase that will be completed by March next year 60 ITIs will be upgraded at a cost of Rs 2188 crore. Tata Technologies will invest 88 per cent of the money while the rest 12 per cent of the cost will be born by the state government.

Senior officials of Labour Resources Department and Tata Technologies gave a detailed presentation on the proposed upgradation plan at a high-level meeting chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.

According to Labour Resources Minister Jibesh Mishra the average cost of upgrading an ITI into the centre of excellence is estimated to be Rs 36.46 crore. The work of upgrading the 60 ITIs will begin from 1 April this year.

For the upgradation work in the first phase 60 ITIs have been identified who have their buildings and other infrastructure. Chief Minister has given direction for construction of buildings for those ITIs that don’t have their own campus.

Tata Technologies will work as a primary partner with 60 ITIs that will be upgraded in the first phase. The company will provide not only the resources and technical know-how in upgradation work but will also support in placement of the candidates who will pass out from these ITIs.

Labour Resources minister claimed that the upgradation work of ITIs is a part of the Industry 4.0. This move may help attract investments and give a boost to industrialisation in the state.

Gyanendra Kumar Keshri

Gyanendra Kumar Keshri is consulting editor of BiharConnect. He has nearly 20 years of experience in journalism, having worked for diverse media streams in India and abroad.

Related Articles

Back to top button